Videogame journalist for Kotaku, Gawker Media’s videogame site.
Hernandez is known in videogame communities mostly for sensationalist articles, badly-argued opinion pieces, inane comments on other sites’ content and relatively little to do with actual videogames. Altho this trend towards clickbait is common throughout the internet, Hernandez came to symbolize its presence in the videogames press due to the sheer amount of such articles she publishes.
A not-at-all comprehensive list of such articles:
- I Don’t Want My OKCupid Dates To Know I Like Video Games
- Real Life Disney Princesses Would Make The Worst Best Friends
- Legion Is The Nicki Minaj of Mass Effect
- The Sims 4’s Nudity Mods Have Gotten Really Detailed
- Smash Bros. Tells Us ‘Y Cant Metroid Crawl’
- In Destiny’s Old Russia, Computer Teabags You
- OK, Maybe Pokémon Shaming Is A Bit Cruel
- Bonkers Dragon Ball Z Theory Says Goku Ruined Everything
- Kanye’s Head Looks Like Mario Kart Boosts, Says Internet
- Mario Is A Super Jerk, To Both Humans And Cats Alike
- Oh No, Someone Put Nic Cage’s Face All Over Halo
- Teen Girls Don’t Care What We Think of Kim Kardashian
- Groot’s Dancing Ain’t So Family Friendly In GTA
- What Happens When Dota 2 Heroes Do Drugs
- FYI: Butts Are Off-limits in Nintendo Games, But Penises Aren’t
- F*ck Cheetos
- Three Words I Said to the Man I Defeated in Gears of War That I’ll Never Say Again
- Why I’m Rallying For Shorter Games
- Diablo III Suffers From A Common Video Game Plague: It Ends
- Lying, Stealing And Masturbation: Gamers Confess Secrets Before ‘The End Of The World’
- College Gaming 101: How I Kept Gaming While Getting A Degree
- What Happens When You Accuse Someone Of Attempting Date Rape In Guild Wars 2
- My Quest To Seduce The Grim Reaper In The Sims 4
- The Rules of Religion, and Why The Next One Just Might Be a Game
- Can Manufactured Memories Be as Powerful as Experience?
- A Video Game Made Me Come Clean About Infidelity
- Mario Taught Me Typing. He Should Teach Me Texting and Internet Stalking, Too.
- Geeks Don’t Get Bullied Simply For Being Geeks. There’s More To It Than That.
- Here Are Three Possible Reasons For Including Rape In Far Cry 3
- Return To New Vegas: The Most Refreshing Video Game Sex I’ve Ever Had
- This Cat Should Be The Final Boss In Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
Lack of disclosure
Patricia Hernandez has written several articles giving good publicity to games made by personal acquaintances without any disclosure. The following image explains the case and brings up Stephen Totilo’s attitude towards the accusations https://archive.today/HNUdR, and all claims are sourced in the sections below.
Indie developer Anna Anthropy (a.k.a. Auntie Pixelante https://archive.today/Xfc1t) is a close friend of Hernandez https://archive.today/bJKQE, to the point once being housemates https://archive.today/XUb6n https://archive.today/gRauY.
Several articles were penned by Hernandez for Kotaku praising Anthropy’s works https://archive.today/Sxfo9 https://archive.today/7reDd https://archive.today/kfTPT https://archive.today/5lUBP, some including direct links to buy them. None of these pieces had any disclaimer about this personal tie during their time of publication, but after the start of Gamergate they have since been updated to include a small disclosure mid-way into the text https://archive.today/ii7zm https://archive.today/Vu27J https://archive.today/gXJuj https://archive.today/yA0GC. Two more such articles don’t have any archived version of the text without disclosure https://archive.today/FpU5l https://archive.today/eCccI.
Hernandez wrote two articles promoting Love’s videogame without disclosing this https://archive.today/bnnWC https://archive.today/8qPKg. After the start of Gamergate, both articles were updated to include small disclaimers that mentioned their friendship https://archive.today/29AFh https://archive.today/luhZM.
Hernandez penned an article on Kotaku featuring Quinn’s body mody-mod https://archive.today/ccUBI, without disclosing their friendship. The piece has since been updated to include such a disclaimer https://archive.today/g8IEp.
[ + ]